Matrika Prenatal Yoga and Exercise
Group Class Schedule
Wednesday at matrika (1406 S. Negley Avenue, Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh 15217)
Saturday at matrika (1406 S. Negley Avenue, Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh 15217)
$18 for single drop-in class*
$90 for 6-class package
*First class is FREE when you buy a package the same day that you take your first class
- Bring a personal check made out to SHARON RUDYK
- Use a Visa, Mastercard, Discover or any debit card
- Exact cash (no change is available)
Matrika Prenatal Yoga and Exercise classes aren’t just regular classes modified for pregnancy! Sharon has developed a unique system that prepares mothers in mind, body and spirit with the strength, courage and endurance necessary to enjoy a beautiful pregnancy, powerful labor and birth and mothering a newborn. No experience with yoga or meditation is required, but Sharon suggests that you discuss with your care provider and get their support before you start any new activity during pregnancy.
Benefits of Yoga and Meditation During Pregnancy
- Gentle movements improve posture so that you carry baby correctly and prevent backache
- Improved circulation mean less varicose veins, hemorrhoids and fluid retention
- Relieve fatigue
- Alleviate minor discomforts such as heartburn, pain in hip joints and ribs, muscle cramps and headaches
- Strengthen the body and learn poses that you can use during labor for comfort
- Learn pelvic floor exercises and other techniques for strengthening your body for birth
- Stay toned and fit during pregnancy. Fit moms recover faster from birthing.
- Balance mood and learn to center body and mind
- Connect deeply with your baby before they are born
- Meet other expectant mothers
- Be a part of a supportive community
- Have fun!
- Take the time to be quiet during this pregnancy
- Access your own strength
- Become aware of your fears and learn to work with yourself, your baby and your care providers with confidence
- Know yourself and be better equipped to communicate your needs and desires to your birth partner, care providers and family
- Create a sacred and special time to relax, hope and dream
What to Expect in a Matrika Prenatal Class
We do not expect prenatal yoga students to have any experience with yoga. Our prenatal yoga classes are appropriate for women in all weeks of pregnancy. Although each instructor has their own style and may provide a different emphasis or tone to their class, all classes include some stretching and breathing exercises, some asana (yoga poses) that will tone and strengthen the body and relaxation. There is no wrong way to do yoga and the more often you practice, the more familiar you will become with the poses. As you become more familiar with the poses and exercises, then you can turn your focus inward. Although some poses may be challenging and you will feel the stretches as you create greater flexibility in your body, you should never feel pain in a yoga class. This is true in any yoga class and not just prenatal yoga! If you are ever uncomfortable or have questions, your instructor can help you modify a pose or answer any questions that you might have. Our classes are intimate and non-competitive so you can receive personalized attention from well-trained instructors.
Our classes are not just gentle yoga classes modified for pregnancy. Our prenatal programs are designed specifically for pregnancy and we use yoga to prepare for birth and for being a mother. Labor, birth and mothering a newborn are not easy tasks. The focus, strength and awareness that you learn in prenatal yoga classes will give you the skills you need to meet these tasks with confidence. We support one another and the entire Matrika community is here for you now and after you have your baby.
Thank you to Red Lotus Photography for the beautiful photographs of Matrika Mammas.