Yoga Matrika offers a 200-hour teacher training program that is registered with Yoga Alliance. This is the information relevant to the 2016-2017 cohort. Enrollment is open from July 15, 2016 through October 1, 2016 with applications considered after October 1 if space is available. This is a mentoring based program and I only choose a select group of less than 8-students to work with each year. We work together to create a program of study that is individualized and personally and professionally meaningful to you.
Graduates receive a certificate that is required for registration with the professional organization, Yoga Alliance, as RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) at the 200-hour level. This program is by invitation only and adults who are interested in working with Sharon on pursuing their teacher education must initiate the process by scheduling an entrance interview. If, during this initial conference, we mutually determine that this teacher training program is in alignment with your professional goals and interests, then you will receive an application. You are also warmly welcome to intiate the entrance process by sending Sharon an email introducing yourself and listing any questions that you might have about the program: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2016-2017 200-hour teacher training program requires:
- Attendance at a minimum of 35 Thursday evening training sessions (70 contact hours)
- Attendance at a minimum of 20 yoga classes with Brooke Smokelin (40 contact hours).
Alternatively, participants can attend some combination of eight sound healing, kirtan sessions or chakra yoga workshops or private sessions with Brooke to meet this requirement.
- Attendance at the September 16-18, 2016 Matrika Training Retreat Weekend (12 contact hours, 5 non-contact)
- Complete all required reading (30 non-contact hours)PDF of Required and Suggested Reading List
- Complete the following online courses: Matrika Prenatal Yoga, Full Awareness of Breathing, and Four Noble Truths (50 non-contact hours)
- Attend all three embodied asana workshops (10.16, 11.6, 12.10) (15 contact hours, 10 non-contact)
- Complete five private sessions with Sharon (20 contact hours)
- Complete three workshops of your choice with Sharon (10 contact hours) or the spring 2017 retreat (Dates TBD)
- Schedule and teach a one hour practice class (2 contact hours, 5 non-contact)
- Participate in a final exam with Sharon Fennimore–this is an oral interview session to be scheduled approximately two-weeks after submitting all written work. You can only teach your one-hour practice class AFTER passing the final exam. (4 contact hours, 2 non-contact)
- Attendance at a minimum of 10 yoga classes at Mookshi Wellness Center with Leslie Wright, Tim Krupar and/or Cara Bessko. You can also meet this requirement by attending meditation sessions at any location where Tim Krupar or Bhante Pema is teaching.
- Alternative to private sessions with Sharon and workshops is attendance at the spring 2017 retreat that has dates that are still to be determined. The retreat will be at a location that is within 2-hours driving distance of the City of Pittsburgh and be approximately 3-days long.
All of these requirements should be met within one year of enrollment. Students who request extensions will have their request considered. In general, I do not grant extensions.
What is the cost?
This is a unique program because you will pay for each required activity individually. I know, it can seem more simple if there is a “total cost” given and then everything is all inclusive. The challenge is that almost everyone signs up for teacher training programs with the best of intentions, but things tend to happen in life and then we have all kinds of problems—do I refund your money if something catestrophic happens in your life and you can’t participate? We enter into this karmic relationship that is sticky and you might feel “stuck” in the program even if it turns out that it isn’t the right one for you. I don’t want to have that kind of relationship with you! I want to be free to tell you that I don’t want to work with you anymore and I want you to be free to tell me that you don’t want to complete the program or work with me anymore.
The costs of the program are the required textbooks, fulfilling the required activities as they are outlined above and a one-time, non-refundable for any reason deposit that includes the following: review of all submitted written work for your final exam and lesson plans for your practice class, final exam with Sharon, and the costs associated with your practice class. While your investment will depend on how you meet the requirements and whether or not you choose to buy the books or borrow them from the library or a friend, the total costs should be $2,000 or less. Perhaps much less. Perhaps a little more. But, since the only investment that you are making “up front” is the non-refundable deposit, if you decide not to finish the program or that it isn’t the right one for you, or you get an amazing opportunity to move to Paris or you fall in love with an Israeli or you discover that your pregnant with triplets (No joke folks–these are REAL things that have happened to some of my previous trainees that have prevented them from finishing the program.) then the deposit of $250 is your only “loss”.
If we decide that the program is right for you, either by an email exchange and/or an entrance interview, then I will send you an invitation that will include a link to pay the deposit and all the information you need to get started.